Rules Regarding Hazardous Material Waste Containers
All Hazardous Material Waste Containers MUST:
- have a LABEL indicating "HAZARDOUS WASTE". Previous labels should be removed.
- have the DATE when the container was first used to collect hazardous materials.
- be labeled with the FULL NAMES of the contents and their AMOUNTS or PERCENTAGES when appropriate. The amount contained in the bottle must equal the amount(s) listed on the label.
- be kept CLOSED when not actually adding to their contents.
- have SECONDARY CONTAINMENT. Grey plastic bins have been purchased for this purpose and are carried by the stockroom. Non-compatible wastes must be kept in separate secondary containment trays. Do not mix wastes (ie. do not mix halogenated solvents with non-halogenated solvents if possible). Waste Containers may not be placed in the sink.
- be kept CLEAN. In particular, the outside of the bottle must be free of traces of wastes or residues.