Universal Precautions for Handling Chemicals
All chemicals not labeled with a hazard label should be handled with the following precautions:
- Chemicals should be treated as though they have health, flammability, reactivity, and contact hazard ratings of at least 3.
- Open containers should only be used in a fume hood. At all other times, the chemical will be kept in a closed container. While in use by the researcher, the fume hood must be in the safe operating mode.
- Safety glasses or goggles must be worn when using these chemicals.
- Gloves made out of an appropriate material must be worn. Prior to touching common items such as door knobs, the glove on the hand used to touch these surfaces must be removed.
- Care should be taken to prevent unnecessary contact of this chemical with other chemicals.
- Any spills of the chemical must be carefully cleaned up. The waste must be labeled appropriately as hazardous waste and handled accordingly.
- The policies and procedures contained in the University Chemical Hygiene Plan and the Chemistry Site-specific Chemical Hygiene Plan must be followed.